Thursday, December 11, 2008

"I Too, Sing America"

Follow the link to the controversial, and highly disturbing "Willie Lynch Letter" (which has been the subject of conspiracy theories, as well as seriously studied). Because we discussed slave narratives and are now discussing the consequences of slavery through Reconstruction, Social Realism (via Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. Dubois), and our visual analysis of "The Great Debaters," I thought that you might find it interesting to read the text. Please know that reading the text is optional. To add to the historical context of our classroom, feel free to peruse the following documents: Consider pathos and audience, writers purpose, and logical fallacies. I will not test you on this, but I do think these are texts that you should be aware of. Consider this supplementary review for the Rhetorical Triangle. I will remove the Willie Lynch Letter on Sunday.

P.S. All study guide packets are due Tuesday!!!! :-)

"I, Too, Sing America": Langston Hughes

No comments: